Seward County Zoning Department

Official: Becky Paulsen
Phone:  (402)643-3525
Location:  529 Seward Street #206., Seward, NE  68434
Hours:   Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.



Functions of the Planning & Zoning Office

The primary responsibility of the Seward County Planning & Zoning Office is to administer and enforce zoning regulations in Seward County. Conduct building inspections and perform building inspections of the construction of waste control systems.

Building Permits

Any constructing, reconstructing, enlarging, alteration or moving of any structure or building requires a permit in all areas of Seward County Zoning Jurisdiction. Permits are used to insure compliance to building code, statutes and regulations, and is the process for an individual to learn the requirements prior to the start of a project. Permits are not required for maintenance such as painting, papering, re-roofing etc.

There are two types of permits:

A Zoning Building Permit is required when building a new home.          

1) All Zoning Density Requirements are met.                                               

2) All Zoning Requirements are met                                                               

3) 35 foot set back from the property line                                                     

4) Location of well/septic or lagoon                                                               

5)NE IBC Code 2008 or above regulations apply                                          

6) 1 set of building plans are required.                                                          

7) Certified State Electrical Inspection.                                                          

8) $75.00 fee is associated with this permit

A Development Permit is required when doing construction

 1) Any building measuring more than 8X8

2) All zoning Requirements are met.

3) Any exterior/interior construction

4) Location of well/septic or lagoon

5)NE  IBC Code 2008 or above regulations apply

6) Certified State Electrical Inspection

7) $75.00 fee in associated with this permit.

Frequently Asked Questions

How may acres do I need to build?

The basic rule in Seward County is that:

*2 homes may be built per quarter section and on property zoned "agriculture".            

*4 homes per quarter section in land zoned "transitional agriculture".  

There are exceptions to this rule. It is  that you contact the Zoning Office with the legal description of the property you are interested in and for an interpretation that applies.


Seward County Comprehensive Development, Zoning & Subdivision Regulations 

Comprehensive Development Plan for Seward County Update 2007-2030

Seward County Nebraska Resolution No. 2567

Comprehensive Development Plan Participants 

Subdivision Regulations 

Seward County Land Use Matrix 









Official Zoning Map

Zoning Board Minutes