Seward County Detention Center

Director: Maria Hatfield
Phone:  402-643-9453
FAX:  (402) 643-0175
Location:  261 South 8th Street, Suite 099 Seward, NE  68434

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Whom should I contact if an emergency has occurred and I need to forward the information to an inmate?

Call (402) 643-9453. Explain the situation and they will assist you. You will not be able to talk to an inmate immediately. The inmate may be permitted to call you after the emergency has been verified.

  • When can I visit?

Please see the Visitation Page. You may also correspond with an inmate by way of e-mail or video visitation by going to and setting up an account.

  • Where do I go to post someone’s bond or fine?

Seward County Justice center, 261 S. 8th Street.  Cash or debit/credit card will be accepted in the kiosk in the Lobby. 

  • Will the Detention Center take a Personal Check?

NO. The Department will only accept cash, U.S. Postal money orders, debit card or cashier’s check.

  • If I post someone’s bond, will I receive the refund?

Yes.  You will need to push the intercom and notify the Detention Center staff of your request. 

  • When and where can I place money in an inmate’s account?

You may deposit Cash or use a Debit/Credit to place money into in inmates account using the Kiosk in the lobby of the Justice Center. U.S. Postal money orders or Cashier’s Checks must be sent through the mail, Monday – Friday.

You must mail these to the Seward County Detention Center, 261 S 8th St. Suite 099 Seward, NE 68434.(Attn: Inmates Name). You can also go to to place money on an inmate’s account.

  • How can I contact an inmate via telephone?

Telephone Calls cannot be placed to inmates. Inmates have daily use to telephones that allow them to place collect local and long distance calls. Inmates also have the opportunity to purchase phone cards with money on their inmate account. You can also purchase phone time for an inmate by using

  • May I send mail to an inmate?

Yes, as long as the sender does not have a no-contact with inmate or as long as the correspondence does not jeopardize the public or facility safety and security. Incoming mail will not be delivered to the inmate if it contains contraband items. All mail shall be addressed:

Inmate Name

Seward County Detention Center

261 S 8th St. Suite 099

Seward,  NE 68434

  • Can an inmate receive property?

With prior approval, glasses and medications are the only accepted items. 

  • When does an inmate go to court after arrest?

Typically the inmate will have a bond review set for the Wednesday after arrest at 11:00 a.m. If the court is not available that day, the review will be set for another day.

  • To apply for Work or School Release.

You can fill out the attached PDF file and mail it to the Detention Center or bring it to the Sheriff's Office between 8:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Hours are not to exceed 40 hours per week or your application will not be considered.  Work or School.pdf

  • Fingerprints for Application Backgrounds

No. You will have to go to the Nebraska State Patrol to have this done.

  • Towing Companies.

If you have a vehicle that has been towed due to incarceration, the registered owner can contact the towing company and set up a time to recover the vehicle.

Companies that are used in Seward County are:
Meyer Ford (402) 643-6673 During hours, (402) 641-7765 After hours & weekends.
Midwest (AAA) (402) 641-8166
Potter Repair (402) 643-0615
State Patrol (402) 471-4545

Court House

 529 Seward St

Seward, NE 68434

Justice Center

 261 S 8th Street

Seward, NE 68434

West Wing

 322 S 14th

Seward, NE 68434

© 2017 by  Seward County, Nebraska